"How Can You Have Too Many Children? That's Like Saying You Have Too Many Flowers" ~ Mother Teresa

A Peek Into Our Hectic, Crazy & Loving Family of Eleven

~♥~

Thursday, February 18, 2010

3 In The Bed.....

"and the little one said.....Roll over, I'm crowded. So, they all rolled over...."

does anyone else know that song?

Anyway...Thought I would share a little of our nighttime routine. Remember that post about "How in the heck is this breastfeeding thing even possible?" We have it perfected. Feeding totally on demand day and night. And I'm not going crazy. It works. Perfectly for us. I was so used to demand feeding a single baby, 3 isn't that much different. Just more. And since these are our last babies (*sniff, sniff*) I want to breastfeed as much as possible. I also get alot more one-on-one time with each baby, which I love. I've obviously gotten very good at tandem nursing. I can hook up 2 babies in about 15 seconds with no pillows. It's great. It's not the most attractive thing ever but it serves the purpose.

So, how goes the night your wondering?

Notice the spacing between the babies? That space is for me. When we start the night, all 3 babies are in the crib. As they wake up, I move them in with me. Luckily, so far, its been just one baby waking at a time. When they join me in bed, I feed them. As the next baby awakens, I move that one in with me and feed her. And the 3rd. Thus, creating the spaces. Throughout the night, I just move from space to space and feed whatever baby is hungry. This means I don't lose much sleep since I hook a baby up and go back to sleep. Once in awhile, 2 will want to eat at the same time. I do have to stay awake for that but I don't get up. How is that possible, you ask? Well, I stack them. Really. I lay on my side, feed that baby laying down, with the bottom boob, then lay another baby on top of that baby and hook her up to the top boob. I'm sure it is quite a site, but it works. Well. Very well actually. In the past week, I've had to use a bottle twice. TWICE. 3 babies, 7 days, 24 hours in each day, TWO bottles. Total. I'm very proud of that, can ya tell? Which also means, I don't have to pump. Thank God.

10 comments:

  1. you are a ROCKSTAR!!! and i am totally laughing at the stacking. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is awesome! I am so glad you've ditched the pumping. I cannot wait for that day around here... hopefully we are getting closer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where does your husband sleep!? Just wanted to say congratulations!!! Great Job!! I have 2 yr old GGB triplets. I was able to BF until they were 6 months but not exclusively. So, I'm very impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should be proud! Shout it from the rooftops!! I'd totally be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Husband? Yeah. Well, currently I am sleeping on a mattress in the family room, DOWNSTAIRS so the babies dont keep the whole house awake. My husband sleeps unstairs with our toddlers. lol. Hopefully soon, Ill be able to move back up there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole, this is why you have three babies. Smart lady! And I love that you blog it and share your experience. There is a lady locally who is pregnant with twins. I'm excited for her, which I can be on some level because I have three friends who have twins and you with triplets. I think that kind of support is rare and certainly welcome. At least she seems to think so. Thank you Nicole! Keep it up! You are an encouragement, even when you are discouraged. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awsome! Glad you have a system that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd so love to see a picture of the stacking! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. You used the same system that I did with my Twins, when they were that age. However they didn't have cribs. I couldn't imagine how other people breastfeeding twins or more could get sleep.

    ReplyDelete